Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Working Class

I have now seen two things this week dealing with stories of those from the "working class" - A Better Life which I have already written about and now Billy Elliot.

Each also had their own unique way of reminding me of my personal inaction.  I am definitely more a member of the middle class, and I am reminded constantly of how easy it is to just get in my comfortable groove.  The middle class is really in the perfect mix of having enough to where they have no need to beg but not having enough to the point of slight envy.  This makes the perfect middle of the road, inactive person needed to sustain systemic injustice.

But for those in the middle class who want to see change, the difficulty of this path seems daunting and, some might go as far as saying impossible.  I, of course, continue to say "forever hoping", but the question of how to take control of the system without letting it take control of you is ever clear and foreboding.  It is history proven that many social movements created to topple "the system" just fell straight back into the creation of a new "system' that was often more unjust then the one that was toppled. However, I don't think this means that we should give up.  I do think it should make us cautious, but not futilistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment